Monday, May 5, 2014

Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins REVIEW



          I picked this book up from my school's library. From what I read on the back, it was enough to have me check it out. I read this book in a longer amount of time than usual, but it wasn't because of its length. It was because I had to actually devour the text and understand it, and I just didn't want to reach the end of the book.
       The characters that Perkins writes about... You can't help but feel sympathy for them. You feel like one of the characters in this book when you read it. I felt like giving them good luck at times, a hug when they needed it, felt like hitting them etc. You just empathize towards them, and you want to give them your condolences. They act as how really teenagers may act, but they're more thoughtful, you could say. The characters in this book are trying to find the meaning of life, really. But the author has written this book so it's done in a funny, serious, yet realistic manner. The whole book is like a masterpiece: some will detest and criticize and some will adore it, but it's out there and to some it's truly beautiful.

This book won the Newbery Award, as many people know. There's loads of Newberys out there (they've been giving them out since 1922 I believe). I've read heaps of them, and are some exceptional? Yes. But there's also some poor ones out there. Criss Cross isn't good but it's not bad either. It's far from both. This is a book that's so poetic, beautiful, and crisp yet it has its moments where it's tragic. Perkins really hit a home run this time, and I'm really happy because of that. If I hadn't read this, I would be a whole different person. It's just /that/ kind of book.


Anyways, I really encourage whoever took their time to read this review, to pick up Criss Cross by the lovely Lynne Rae Perkins. This book is one that will not disappoint, and you will surely fall in love with it the way I did. It's a book that stays with you...

Final Verdict: I would suggest picking up this book asap! It's a must read for everyone.
Rating: 5/5 stars!


Click for websites
Amazon US
Amazon AU
Amazon CA
Barnes and Noble
Lynne Rae Perkin's Website
~Natasha~

3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I did follow back via GFC.
    Laura@thebookjunkie
    Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quote:
    "If I hadn't read this, I would be a whole different person."
    Wow. You got me curious. Must go and check this book out. You left me with the impression it might be, I don't know...magical?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Roberta! It's not really magical but it's one of those books like The Perks of Being a Wallflower ( I don't know if you read that book) that you just read and it makes you feel so different. It's more of a contemporary novel.

      Delete